Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Neyyar Dam - Sivananda Yoga Ashram

Here we are - doing yoga in an ashram in Kerala already for the fifth day (I cannot really believe I made it so far considering the schedule). I have never really had anything to do with yoga in my life so I was a bit hesitant to go straight to an ashram but why have it the easy way, when you can always make life more exciting. We agreed though that Rita helps me out at the beginning in case it is tough on me.

So we arrived - in an ashram that feels a bit like a student campus on a hill, right next to a national park with lions roaring every morning and evening. Beautiful location. Right at the entry we had to surrender our mobile phones and cameras to a deposit box. In addition we cannot go out without applying for an "out pass". Kind of strict rules.

For me the toughest thing is the four hours of exercies per day. The good thing is I can still move and I guess I have never in my life been so flexible. It will be a good preparation for our hikes in Nepal.

The internet is 15 minutes per person if you sign up early enough so a more thought over post about what we experienced here will come as soon as we get out of the ashram. There is actually lots we want to share as it is definitely a new and confusing experience.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

so did you come out alive? folks are waiting here in anticipation of your next adventures! write!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful...You brought back all my old memories. Awesome pictures and the moments captured. Appreciate it. I enjoyed to my heart.

~ Peace ~

Palani
ksrpal2002@yahoo.com